Friday, May 10, 2013

The younger years

I remember as a kid getting really excited to bring home the project that I made at school to show to my mother. I remember making some thing for my mom for every occasion. Mother’s day was the best presents. Now as a mom myself my kids always made something for me for each holiday. I remember Lexi was so proud of herself when she made a present for Jeremiah and her father for father’s day, it melted our hearts. Logan is always proud of his gifts that he makes, I remember a few years ago he made a ginger bread house at school and was bringing it home on the bus, it didn't make it off the bus the same way it went on, he was devastated. 
Now as they get older the schools don't push for presents anymore. 

Those little children who adored their parents at one time cuss at them and call them names. It is sad that because they don't get what they want they say mean and hateful things about their parents to their friends. I have never said I hated my mother no matter how mad she made me. Parents, society, and any other person can say it is always how the child is raised is how they will be but that is not the case in my opinion. Parents are an influence, school is an influence, and their environment is an influence. You can raise your child any way you want but once they step out into school their peers change them in some shape or form. Kids learn to act one way at home and then act a totally different way in school around their peers. 
You can teach your children that drugs, cigarettes, and alcohol are bad but they will experiment with it because they do not want to be "that kid" who is a wuss or a goody-two-shoes. You can teach them not to lie but they will learn to lie to your face just to get what they want or to stay out of trouble. They will do things that you never expected them to do and you will be hurt by the things you learn that your child is doing or has done but you will have to accept them for all of their flaws.
I was raised in a sheltered home. I didn't go to sleep overs until I was 13....13. I was never allowed to roam the streets until I was 15. And at 15 is when I learned things for myself that I never knew existed. Never knew what drugs were, what sex was, ever knew life outside of my neighborhood. Once I started to learn what the world was like I had this need to experience everything and anything I could. I began to learn about myself and the real person I was (loud and obnoxious), I wanted to hang out with my friends any chance I could, and I learned real quick that I didn't like to be picked on or bullied (that lead to me getting into trouble at school). I learned to stand up for myself and my friends around me. I really liked school but I didn't like some of the teachers. Education starts with the styles of teaching. I learned more from the teachers who made learning fun and more from those teachers who genuinely cared about their job and how they affected the students. 
I raise my children to understand education is important piece of their life and I explain to them that I want them to experience things I never had the chance too. That is why we always have kids spending the weekend with us and we do things with the kids. That is all I can do as a parent and hope that my children listen to my advice and choose the right path.
~Peace Out~

2 comments:

  1. I have all the clay gifts my kids gave to me!!! They are so special to me and I have to admit they are not all that artistic!!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I have the clay gifts too, and the drawings, and the special papers. It is just amazing on how your the best through the younger years and your the worst through the teenage years.

      Delete