Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hypocrites

One thing that our parents tell us is never to lie. Right? Yet here they were the hypocrites. Our parents lied to us since the beginning. They lied about Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Leprechauns, and any other fictitious characters that they dream up to get us to behave. I truly believed in all of the made up characters and when I found out that it was all fake I was crushed. When I had my own children I made them believe in the same things that I was told was a lie. Why do we do that to our children? We tell them not to lie but for years we hold true to these lies for years. When I finally told my daughter that none of that was real her reaction was "Ah man, great now that means that I don't get any more presents?" I explained to her that was not the case that the entire time I was buying the presents and just putting his name on it. She was relieved. Now for my son he figured it out before I told him because I had bought the Easter baskets when they were with me one time forgetting the my son didn't know.

Another thing that we do to our children...well at least I had done was tell my children hitting wasn't okay but yet when they were young and did something wrong I would spank them. I really don't understand why we do the things we do as parents. I guess it makes sense as to why we do it, we want our children to believe in the fairy tale of fictitious characters and then when the children get in deep we tell them that they need to stop believing in these things. I honestly don't know which is better; either to never let them believe or to let them believe and then lie to them.
I always liked Christmas morning when my kids would wake up and see all the presents under the tree and get so excited that some character left them gifts because they were on the nice list. The price we pay being parents, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I wouldn't change it for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment